Library: Printable Page
This page printed from http://library.educationworld.net.
Timon of Athens: Act 3 Scene 3
Scene III A room in Sempronius' house.
- [Enter SEMPRONIUS, and a Servant of TIMON's]
- Must he needs trouble me in 't,--hum!--'bove
- all others?
- He might have tried Lord Lucius or Lucullus;
- And now Ventidius is wealthy too,
- Whom he redeem'd from prison: all these
- Owe their estates unto him.
- My lord,
- They have all been touch'd and found base metal, for
- They have au denied him.
- How! have they denied him?
- Has Ventidius and Lucullus denied him?
- And does he send to me? Three? hum!
- It shows but little love or judgment in him:
- Must I be his last refuge! His friends, like
- Thrive, give him over: must I take the cure upon me?
- Has much disgraced me in't; I'm angry at him,
- That might have known my place: I see no sense for't,
- But his occasion might have woo'd me first;
- For, in my conscience, I was the first man
- That e'er received gift from him:
- And does he think so backwardly of me now,
- That I'll requite its last? No:
- So it may prove an argument of laughter
- To the rest, and 'mongst lords I be thought a fool.
- I'ld rather than the worth of thrice the sum,
- Had sent to me first, but for my mind's sake;
- I'd such a courage to do him good. But now return,
- And with their faint reply this answer join;
- Who bates mine honour shall not know my coin.
- Excellent! Your lordship's a goodly villain. The
- devil knew not what he did when he made man
- politic; he crossed himself by 't: and I cannot
- think but, in the end, the villainies of man will
- set him clear. How fairly this lord strives to
- appear foul! takes virtuous copies to be wicked,
- like those that under hot ardent zeal would set
- whole realms on fire: Of such a nature is his
- politic love.
- This was my lord's best hope; now all are fled,
- Save only the gods: now his friends are dead,
- Doors, that were ne'er acquainted with their wards
- Many a bounteous year must be employ'd
- Now to guard sure their master.
- And this is all a liberal course allows;
- Who cannot keep his wealth must keep his house.
Looking for a job in the education sector? Visit Education America Network (for
US job postings) or Education Canada Network (for Canadian opportunities).
Re-use/reproduction of some materials may be limited, please see our Acceptable Use Guidelines.
© 2001-2004 World of Education