/ Home / Library / Complete Shakespeare / Romeo and Juliet / Act V Scene I
version of this page
Romeo and Juliet: Act 5 Scene 1
Scene I Mantua. A street.
- [Enter ROMEO]
- If I may trust the flattering truth of sleep,
- My dreams presage some joyful news at hand:
- My bosom's lord sits lightly in his throne;
- And all this day an unaccustom'd spirit
- Lifts me above the ground with cheerful thoughts.
- I dreamt my lady came and found me dead--
- Strange dream, that gives a dead man leave
- to think!--
- And breathed such life with kisses in my lips,
- That I revived, and was an emperor.
- Ah me! how sweet is love itself possess'd,
- When but love's shadows are so rich in joy!
- [Enter BALTHASAR, booted]
- News from Verona!--How now, Balthasar!
- Dost thou not bring me letters from the friar?
- How doth my lady? Is my father well?
- How fares my Juliet? that I ask again;
- For nothing can be ill, if she be well.
- Then she is well, and nothing can be ill:
- Her body sleeps in Capel's monument,
- And her immortal part with angels lives.
- I saw her laid low in her kindred's vault,
- And presently took post to tell it you:
- O, pardon me for bringing these ill news,
- Since you did leave it for my office, sir.
- Is it even so? then I defy you, stars!
- Thou know'st my lodging: get me ink and paper,
- And hire post-horses; I will hence to-night.
- I do beseech you, sir, have patience:
- Your looks are pale and wild, and do import
- Some misadventure.
- Tush, thou art deceived:
- Leave me, and do the thing I bid thee do.
- Hast thou no letters to me from the friar?
- No, my good lord.
- No matter: get thee gone,
- And hire those horses; I'll be with thee straight.
- [Exit BALTHASAR]
- Well, Juliet, I will lie with thee to-night.
- Let's see for means: O mischief, thou art swift
- To enter in the thoughts of desperate men!
- I do remember an apothecary,--
- And hereabouts he dwells,--which late I noted
- In tatter'd weeds, with overwhelming brows,
- Culling of simples; meagre were his looks,
- Sharp misery had worn him to the bones:
- And in his needy shop a tortoise hung,
- An alligator stuff'd, and other skins
- Of ill-shaped fishes; and about his shelves
- A beggarly account of empty boxes,
- Green earthen pots, bladders and musty seeds,
- Remnants of packthread and old cakes of roses,
- Were thinly scatter'd, to make up a show.
- Noting this penury, to myself I said
- 'An if a man did need a poison now,
- Whose sale is present death in Mantua,
- Here lives a caitiff wretch would sell it him.'
- O, this same thought did but forerun my need;
- And this same needy man must sell it me.
- As I remember, this should be the house.
- Being holiday, the beggar's shop is shut.
- What, ho! apothecary!
- [Enter Apothecary]
- Who calls so loud?
- Come hither, man. I see that thou art poor:
- Hold, there is forty ducats: let me have
- A dram of poison, such soon-speeding gear
- As will disperse itself through all the veins
- That the life-weary taker may fall dead
- And that the trunk may be discharged of breath
- As violently as hasty powder fired
- Doth hurry from the fatal cannon's womb.
- Such mortal drugs I have; but Mantua's law
- Is death to any he that utters them.
- Art thou so bare and full of wretchedness,
- And fear'st to die? famine is in thy cheeks,
- Need and oppression starveth in thine eyes,
- Contempt and beggary hangs upon thy back;
- The world is not thy friend nor the world's law;
- The world affords no law to make thee rich;
- Then be not poor, but break it, and take this.
- My poverty, but not my will, consents.
- I pay thy poverty, and not thy will.
- Put this in any liquid thing you will,
- And drink it off; and, if you had the strength
- Of twenty men, it would dispatch you straight.
- There is thy gold, worse poison to men's souls,
- Doing more murders in this loathsome world,
- Than these poor compounds that thou mayst not sell.
- I sell thee poison; thou hast sold me none.
- Farewell: buy food, and get thyself in flesh.
- Come, cordial and not poison, go with me
- To Juliet's grave; for there must I use thee.