/ Home / Library / Complete Shakespeare / Cymbeline / Act III Scene II
version of this page
Cymbeline: Act 3 Scene 2
Scene II Another room in the palace.
- [Enter PISANIO, with a letter]
- How? of adultery? Wherefore write you not
- What monster's her accuser? Leonatus,
- O master! what a strange infection
- Is fall'n into thy ear! What false Italian,
- As poisonous-tongued as handed, hath prevail'd
- On thy too ready hearing? Disloyal! No:
- She's punish'd for her truth, and undergoes,
- More goddess-like than wife-like, such assaults
- As would take in some virtue. O my master!
- Thy mind to her is now as low as were
- Thy fortunes. How! that I should murder her?
- Upon the love and truth and vows which I
- Have made to thy command? I, her? her blood?
- If it be so to do good service, never
- Let me be counted serviceable. How look I,
- That I should seem to lack humanity
- so much as this fact comes to?
- 'Do't: the letter
- that I have sent her, by her own command
- Shall give thee opportunity.' O damn'd paper!
- Black as the ink that's on thee! Senseless bauble,
- Art thou a feodary for this act, and look'st
- So virgin-like without? Lo, here she comes.
- I am ignorant in what I am commanded.
- [Enter IMOGEN]
- How now, Pisanio!
- Madam, here is a letter from my lord.
- Who? thy lord? that is my lord, Leonatus!
- O, learn'd indeed were that astronomer
- That knew the stars as I his characters;
- He'ld lay the future open. You good gods,
- Let what is here contain'd relish of love,
- Of my lord's health, of his content, yet not
- That we two are asunder; let that grieve him:
- Some griefs are med'cinable; that is one of them,
- For it doth physic love: of his content,
- All but in that! Good wax, thy leave. Blest be
- You bees that make these locks of counsel! Lovers
- And men in dangerous bonds pray not alike:
- Though forfeiters you cast in prison, yet
- You clasp young Cupid's tables. Good news, gods!
- 'Justice, and your father's wrath, should he take me
- in his dominion, could not be so cruel to me, as
- you, O the dearest of creatures, would even renew me
- with your eyes. Take notice that I am in Cambria,
- at Milford-Haven: what your own love will out of
- this advise you, follow. So he wishes you all
- happiness, that remains loyal to his vow, and your,
- increasing in love,
- LEONATUS POSTHUMUS.'
- O, for a horse with wings! Hear'st thou, Pisanio?
- He is at Milford-Haven: read, and tell me
- How far 'tis thither. If one of mean affairs
- May plod it in a week, why may not I
- Glide thither in a day? Then, true Pisanio,--
- Who long'st, like me, to see thy lord; who long'st,--
- let me bate,-but not like me--yet long'st,
- But in a fainter kind:--O, not like me;
- For mine's beyond beyond--say, and speak thick;
- Love's counsellor should fill the bores of hearing,
- To the smothering of the sense--how far it is
- To this same blessed Milford: and by the way
- Tell me how Wales was made so happy as
- To inherit such a haven: but first of all,
- How we may steal from hence, and for the gap
- That we shall make in time, from our hence-going
- And our return, to excuse: but first, how get hence:
- Why should excuse be born or e'er begot?
- We'll talk of that hereafter. Prithee, speak,
- How many score of miles may we well ride
- 'Twixt hour and hour?
- One score 'twixt sun and sun,
- Madam, 's enough for you:
- and too much too.
- Why, one that rode to's execution, man,
- Could never go so slow: I have heard of
- riding wagers,
- Where horses have been nimbler than the sands
- That run i' the clock's behalf. But this is foolery:
- Go bid my woman feign a sickness; say
- She'll home to her father: and provide me presently
- A riding-suit, no costlier than would fit
- A franklin's housewife.
- Madam, you're best consider.
- I see before me, man: nor here, nor here,
- Nor what ensues, but have a fog in them,
- That I cannot look through. Away, I prithee;
- Do as I bid thee: there's no more to say,
- Accessible is none but Milford way.