Library: Printable Page
This page printed from http://library.educationworld.net.
Cymbeline: Act 2 Scene 5
Scene V Another room in Philario's house.
- [Enter POSTHUMUS LEONATUS]
- POSTHUMUS LEONATUS
- Is there no way for men to be but women
- Must be half-workers? We are all bastards;
- And that most venerable man which I
- Did call my father, was I know not where
- When I was stamp'd; some coiner with his tools
- Made me a counterfeit: yet my mother seem'd
- The Dian of that time so doth my wife
- The nonpareil of this. O, vengeance, vengeance!
- Me of my lawful pleasure she restrain'd
- And pray'd me oft forbearance; did it with
- A pudency so rosy the sweet view on't
- Might well have warm'd old Saturn; that I thought her
- As chaste as unsunn'd snow. O, all the devils!
- This yellow Iachimo, in an hour,--wast not?--
- Or less,--at first?--perchance he spoke not, but,
- Like a full-acorn'd boar, a German one,
- Cried 'O!' and mounted; found no opposition
- But what he look'd for should oppose and she
- Should from encounter guard. Could I find out
- The woman's part in me! For there's no motion
- That tends to vice in man, but I affirm
- It is the woman's part: be it lying, note it,
- The woman's; flattering, hers; deceiving, hers;
- Lust and rank thoughts, hers, hers; revenges, hers;
- Ambitions, covetings, change of prides, disdain,
- Nice longing, slanders, mutability,
- All faults that may be named, nay, that hell knows,
- Why, hers, in part or all; but rather, all;
- For even to vice
- They are not constant but are changing still
- One vice, but of a minute old, for one
- Not half so old as that. I'll write against them,
- Detest them, curse them: yet 'tis greater skill
- In a true hate, to pray they have their will:
- The very devils cannot plague them better.
Looking for a job in the education sector? Visit Education America Network (for
US job postings) or Education Canada Network (for Canadian opportunities).
Re-use/reproduction of some materials may be limited, please see our Acceptable Use Guidelines.
© 2001-2004 World of Education